Borussia Dortmund vs. Austria Vienna: Probable line-ups, stats and build-up
Favre, returning to the Bundesliga stage after two seasons in charge of Nice, gathered his troops back for training last Saturday, with Abdou Diallo, Achraf Hakimi, Marwin Hitz and Marius Wolf among the new players at the Swiss tactician’s disposal. All four are expected to play some part in the Austrian capital, but Dortmund fans will have to wait a while longer to see Thomas Delaney in a BVB shirt following the former Werder Bremen midfielder’s exploits at the 2018 FIFA World Cup. Christian Pulisic is nearing peak condition, having spent the last couple of weeks training in his native USA, but Julian Weigl misses out.
Hosts Vienna have two weeks on Dortmund as far as pre-season preparations go. Last season’s seventh-placed Austrian Bundesliga outfit have already played three friendly matches, beating minnows Union Mauer 2-0, losing 3-0 to 2017/18 Ukrainian Premier League champions Shakhtar Donetsk and drawing 2-2 with Russian side Arsenal Tula. The game against BVB will be the Violets’ first at the new Generali-Arena, and arguably their toughest test ahead of their season opener at home to Wacker Innsbruck on 27 July. Serbian midfielder Uros Matic, a loan signing from Copenhagen, is the club’s most notable piece of business so far this summer.
Watch: Recap Borussia Dortmund’s 2017/18 season
Dortmund: Hitz – Hakimi, Diallo, Toprak, Schmelzer – Götze, Dahoud, Wolf – Pulisic, Philipp, Sancho
Absentees: Akanji, Bürki, Delaney, Guerreiro, Kagawa, Piszczek, Reus (post-World Cup break), Weigl (adductor)
Coach: Lucien Favre
Vienna: Lucic – Klein, Madl, Igor, Salamon – Sarkaria, Kadiri, Matic – Grünwald – Venuto, Friesenbichler
Absentees: Monschein, Fitz, Borkovic, Hahn, Turgeman, Demaku (all injured)
Coach: Thomas Letsch
- Dortmund represent Favre’s third Bundesliga club, following spells in charge of Hertha Berlin (2007-2009) and Borussia Mönchengladbach (2011-2015).
- Maximillian Philipp was Dortmund’s top scorer in the Bundesliga last season, with nine goals.
- Pulisic registered a team-high six Bundesliga assists last term – his second full season as a professional.
- Raphael Holzhauser failed to find the net in 34 Bundesliga appearances for VfB Stuttgart and Augsburg, but finished the 2017/18 campaign as Vienna’s highest scorer on 10 goals. He joined Grasshopper Club Zürich earlier in the summer.
- BVB have faced Vienna on five previous occasions, including two competitive meetings in the opening round of the 2003/04 UEFA Europa League. The Black-Yellows won both ties.
- Vienna coach Thomas Letsch replaced Domenico Tedesco (now of Schalke) at Bundesliga 2 side Erzgebirge Aue last summer, but was dismissed after just three matches in charge.
Source link http://scugo.com/germany/bundesliga/borussia-dortmund-vs-austria-vienna-probable-line-ups-stats-and-build-up/https://i2.wp.com/scugo.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/1173606_toptease_article_desktop.jpg?fit=628%2C353https://i2.wp.com/scugo.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/1173606_toptease_article_desktop.jpg?resize=150%2C150Bundesliga