Bundesliga Matchday 1: The facts and figures
With the release of the 2018/19 Bundesliga fixture list on Friday, 29 June, the countdown to the new season has begun.
The action doesn’t begin until the evening of August 24 – ample time to swot up on the curtain-raising statistical skinny of seasons past…
- Bayern are the most successful team on the opening Matchday of the season, averaging 2.1 points per game (since the introduction of three points for a win).
- Bayern have, logically, recorded most victories (34), been top of the table most frequently (11 times) and scored the most goals (120) after the first round of games.
- The Bavarians were also on the receiving end of the biggest opening-day defeat in Bundesliga history – a 6-0 thrashing at a Kickers Offenbach side coached by Otto Rehhagel in 1974/75.
- The team in second place after Matchday 1 has been relegated (seven times) more often than it has won the Bundesliga title (five times).
Watch: Highlights of Bayern’s 3-1 win over Leverkusen on Matchday 1 in 2017/18
- In the 55 Bundesliga seasons since the league’s inception in 1963, 138 clubs have been relegated. Almost a quarter of them (23 per cent) started those seasons with a win, while 56 per cent avoided defeat on Matchday 1.
- Four teams have been relegated despite topping the standings after Matchday 1: Hansa Rostock (1991/92), Karlsruher SC (1997/98), Borussia Mönchengladbach (1998/99) and Arminia Bielefeld (2002/03).
- On the flip side of that coin, 70 teams have avoided relegation after occupying one of the bottom two positions following the first round of games.
- Klaus Fichtel, Eike Immel, Manfred Kaltz and Karl-Heinz Körbel have more appearances on Matchday 1 than anyone else in Bundesliga history (17). Former Bayern goalkeeper Oliver Kahn has the most opening-day wins (11), however.
Watch: Kahn reflects on one of his feistiest games in the Bundesliga, including THAT kung-fun kick
- Borussia Dortmund have suffered more opening-day defeats (22) than any other Bundesliga club.
- Schalke have conceded more goals than any other team on Matchday 1 (85), while a league-high 178 goals have been scored at Hamburg on the opening day.
- The record for most goals on Matchday 1 was set in 1986/87, when nets were rippled 42 times. The lowest tally (18) has occurred twice, most recently in 2001.
- A record seven penalties were awarded on Matchday 1 in 1987/88, while there have only been two opening rounds of fixtures without a spot-kick, most recently in 1988/89.
- Bayern players have scored the first goal of the season more often than those from any other team (13).
- The largest attendance record on Matchday 1 was set in 2011 (an average of 51,344 per game). Bayern, Dortmund and Hertha Berlin – the clubs with the biggest stadiums in the league – all had home games that year. The lowest figures on Matchday 1 arrived in 1972, with an average of just 13,733 per game.
Source link http://scugo.com/germany/bundesliga/bundesliga-matchday-1-the-facts-and-figures/https://i1.wp.com/scugo.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/1140604_toptease_article_desktop.jpg?fit=628%2C353https://i1.wp.com/scugo.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/1140604_toptease_article_desktop.jpg?resize=150%2C150Bundesliga